Why I named my Son Liam after my Grandfather Kerre

While his mother had the privilege of choosing the name Liam, the surname was reserved for me and I had to name after my grandfather whose name was Vincent Kerre.

Just as his father who was named after his paternal great grandfather Webala, Liam was named after his paternal great grandfather Kerre.

The name Liam had been ratified by both of us, after his mother proposed the name and after going through popular baby names in the United States in 2021, Liam topped the list.

I hadn’t planned to name him after my grandfather Kerre, but the instinct of doing so occurred at the time when the hospital birth registry demanded that we submit the child’s name. My wife Phoebe and I had not discussed about the surname Kerre, but she finally obliged my proposal.

Back to the Roots

My grandfather Vincent Kerre was born in 1917 to the Late Webala Murandafu of the bameme clan and a luo woman named Silonyo. Kerre died on 21/10/1993 at the age of 76 years in a grisly road accident near Kimilili town. 

The late Webala whom I am named after was born in 1875 and died in 1954. Two years later, his beloved wife Silonyo followed. Webala was son to Murandafu and lived near the planes of Sang’alo Hills a few Kilometers from Bungoma town.

When I named my son Liam after my grandfather, it was history repeating itself. The woman I loved the most allowed me to reincarnate based on precedence. My bond to Liam is so special, as he keeps our lineage intact.

Liam Kerre is the true son of a proud father. His grandfather George Okumu felt bitter when he was named after Kerre and not him. As Liam lives on, may he name one of his sons after his grandfather to keep the historical rhythm flowing.

Kerre being a household name will give Liam the way to leverage himself into being a towering figure with the blessings of his dad Dennis Webala and mum Phoebe Walukhu.

Vincent Kerre – The Disciplinarian

My grandfather Kerre was a disciplinarian and was feared by his five wives and over forty children. He had a Central abode, where he was served food and the local brew busaa from each of his five wives in a row.

He ruled his home with firmness and instilled sense in his children. None of his children had the guts to dare and cross his path.

Kerre possessed some of the predictive powers attributed to his famed relatives Mukite Wa Nameme and Elijah Wa Nameme.

Kerre was nicknamed ‘Giningi’ and strangely Liam’s mother used to call him the same name in his first few months after birth. What a coincidence, yet I hadn’t hinted about the nickname to my wife. That was a proof that she was in resonance to my pick.


Liam Kerre: 08/01/2021

Vincent Kerre, whom Liam is named after, in undated photo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Redeeming Your Self Worth for diverse Setup

Living the Life that his Father never lived

For Excellent Results, try doing some Original Stuff